Written By Lesley Downey
This time of the year, I feel like my skin is one size too small—not only does my face look its most pasty in February, but it also is the most uncomfortable. Here are my winter tricks—try one or all of them depending on how dry your skin feels.
1) Trade your foaming cleanser for something oil-based. These cleansers melt away makeup without leaving your face tight—I love Confidence in a Cleanser and Eve Lom Cleanser used with the Original Magic Eraser and warm water.
2) Add a serum, preferably one with hyaluronic acid—this extra step adds oomph to hydration when used under your regular moisturizer. Try Fresh’s Rose Hydration Face Serum or The Ordinary’s Buffet Multi-technology Peptide Serum.
3) Switch your moisturizer for something a little richer—I love Embryolisse Concentrated Lait Cream and Alchimie Forever Kantic + Intensely Nourishing Cream. Immediately, my skin looks less winter weary.
4) Trade your regular body lotion for one of these heavy weights—AmLactin Alpha-Hydroxy Therapy Ultra Hydrating Body Cream is genius for addressing scaly legs and elbows. Goe oil is another favorite—it’s so soothing, smells amazing and seals in moisture after a shower.
5) Add a face oil in the evenings. We spent all our teenage years worried about oil—but now it is our friend! Try Caudalie’s Vine[Activ] Overnight Detox Night Oil or Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate.
6) Add a face mask when you have time, especially one that helps with redness, which flares in the winter months. Here are Allure magazine’s top picks.