This recipe is featured in our November 2017 Food + Entertaining article, Swanky Tailgating.
Popcorn with Sesame-Glazed PistachiosCourse: Snacks
1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
½ cup popping corn
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
2 teaspoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups shelled unsalted pistachios (8 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large saucepan, combine the vegetable oil and popcorn, cover and cook over moderate heat until the corn starts to pop. Cook, shaking the pan until the popping stops, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and season lightly with salt.
- Wipe out the saucepan. Add the olive oil, sugar, sesame seeds, soy sauce, garlic powder and 2 teaspoons of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Add the pistachios and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Scrape the pistachios onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, until bubbling. Scrape the pistachio mixture into the popcorn and toss well. Let cool before serving.
- This video from Food & Wine takes you through the recipe step-by-step.
- Make Ahead: The mix can be made early in the day and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Recipe from Martha Wiggins, Food & Wine, December 2015