Ahi Tuna Tartare on Sesame Wonton CrispsCourse: Appetizer
- For the Sesame Wonton Crisps
12 wonton wrappers (can substitute egg roll wrappers)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- For the Tuna Tartare
6 ounces sushi-grade tuna, cut into ¼-inch dice
2 tablespoons green onions, green parts only, finely chopped
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 avocado, cut into ¼-inch dice
2 teaspoons lime juice
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- To prepare the Sesame Wonton Crisps: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the wonton squares on an angle to make two triangles. Arrange the wonton triangles on the baking sheet. Spray with olive oil on one side (or brush lightly). Sprinkle lightly with sesame seeds. Bake until golden, about 6 minutes (watch carefully—these can burn easily). Let cool. Remove triangles from the pan and let cool on a cooling rack.
- To prepare the Tuna Tartare: Combine tuna, green onions, sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, orange zest, cilantro, and salt together in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- To assemble: Just before serving, add the avocado and lime juice (do not mix in advance). Place a heaping teaspoon of the tuna mixture on each wonton triangle. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro. Serve immediately. Do not allow tuna to remain at room temperature for more than 1 hour.
- Recipe from Porcupine Provisions.