This recipe is featured in our Holiday 2017 Food + Entertaining article, Christmas Brunch.
Breakfast Strata with Caramelized Onion, Mushrooms, and ThymeCourse: Breakfast, Brunch
3 ½ cups whole milk
2 cups water
2 tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter, plus more for coating the pan
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 ¼ cups quick-cooking grits
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Crystal
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 large eggs
⅛ teaspoon hot paprika
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and arrange a rack in the upper third. Coat a shallow 2 ½-quart baking dish with butter.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1 ½ cups of the milk, the water, measured butter, garlic and salt. Bring to a rolling boil and slowly whisk in the grits. Whisk continuously for a minute until no lumps remain. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 cups milk, hot sauce, pepper and eggs. Gradually add the hot grits, stirring to combine. Pour the grits into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the grits are puffy around the edges and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve hot.
- Recipe from Martha Hall Foose, Screen Doors and Sweet Tea