This recipe is featured in our December 2015 Food + Entertaining article, Check a few more things off your list! Fantastic stocking stuffers and delicious holiday recipes. Round out your holiday menu with these go-to recipes from Danielle Rollins’ book Soirée: Entertaining with Style.
Chocolate-Pecan Pie with Toasted Marshmallow Chantilly CreamCourse: Dessert
- TART DOUGH:
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
1 large egg yolk
1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
11⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces Callebaut or Valrhona 66% chocolate
2 tablespoons cold butter
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- MARSHMALLOW CHANTILLY CREAM:
1 cup sugar
1 cup glucose, plus 1⁄4 cup for whipping with egg whites
1⁄2 cup egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup toasted Georgia pecans (for garnish)
- To make tart dough, combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment; mix on medium speed. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract. Sift flour and cocoa together and slowly add to bowl and mix. Place dough on counter and form into a flat disk; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. To make tart shell, on a lightly floured surface, roll the tart dough out to approximately 1⁄8 inch thick. Use the dough to fill 8 individual 4-inch tart pans. Blind bake for 8 minutes. Let cool. Tart shells can be made the day before and stored in a covered container at room temperature.
- To make chocolate filling, heat cream in a medium-sized pan over medium heat until just warm. Pour into a bowl with the chocolate and stir to melt. Add butter and stir, then add salt. Cool slightly, then fill baked tart shells.
- To make marshmallow chantilly cream, combine sugar, 1⁄2 cup water, and 1 cup glucose in a stainless-steel saucepan; heat until a candy thermometer reaches 240°F. Keep warm. Whip egg whites and 1⁄4 cup glucose in a medium-size bowl until fluffy and shiny but not dry. Add vanilla to egg whites. Continue whipping, adding hot sugar and glucose mixture, until light and fluffy.
- To serve, top each tart with marshmallow chantilly cream and garnish with pecans. Toast marshmallow cream with a kitchen torch or in the broiler.