Featured in our Fall 2021 Food + Entertaining article, Tailgate in Style (With a Little Help), this Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup is so rich, hearty and comforting! The secret to this mushroom soup recipe is roasting the mushrooms in garlic and thyme first!
Creamy Roasted Mushroom Soup
Roasting the mushrooms beforehand gives an incredible depth of flavor to this delicious soup. Don’t skip that step—it’s a game changer.
2 pounds cremini mushrooms
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
8 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large sweet onion, diced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¹⁄3 cup dry white wine (or additional chicken stock)
5 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
¹⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place mushrooms in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Add olive oil, half of the garlic, and 4 sprigs of thyme; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine. Place into oven and bake for 20–30 minutes, or until browned and tender, stirring once. Let cool before coarsely chopping; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring constantly, until golden and caramelized, about 10–15 minutes. Stir in remaining garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in chicken stock, bay leaves, and remaining thyme; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; simmer until thickened, about 10–15 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in heavy cream. Serve immediately.
- Recipe from Chungah Rhee, Damn Delicious