Featured in our Holiday 2020 Food + Entertaining article, ‘Tis the Season!, this delicious Dandelion Salad with Pomegranate Seeds, Pine Nuts, and Delicata Squash is a perfect side for your holiday table and always a crowd-pleaser.
Dandelion Salad with Pomegranate Seeds, Pine Nuts, and Roasted Delicata Squash
6 tablespoons pomegranate juice
1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 unpeeled medium delicata squash or 1 medium acorn squash, halved, seeded, cut into 24 wedges total
1 pound dandelion greens, thick stems trimmed, leaves cut into 2-inch lengths (about 12 cups)
1 ½ cups pomegranate seeds
¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Whisk pomegranate juice and vinegars in bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside; re-whisk before using.
- Melt 2 teaspoons butter in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1⁄3 of squash wedges. Cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer squash wedges to rimmed baking sheet. Repeat 2 more times with remaining butter and squash wedges. Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
- Preheat oven to 450°. Transfer squash to oven; bake 20 minutes.
- Mix greens, pomegranate seeds, and pine nuts in large bowl. Toss with half of dressing. Divide salad mixture among plates and top with squash. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Recipe from Bon Appétit
- I prefer to use arugula over the dandelion greens, which have a stronger flavor.