Featured in our Summer 2023 Food + Entertaining article, Across the Generations, this flavorful summer salad is full of tender herbs served with a simple french vinaigrette.
Mostly Herbs Salad with French VinaigretteCourse: Salads
Tender herbs are the star ingredients in this delicious salad. Feel free to mix things up based on what you have on hand. We added fresh asparagus and roasted peppers.
6 handfuls mixed micro greens such as mâche, lamb’s lettuce, pea sprouts or watercress
1 cup mixed fresh herbs such as flat-leaf parsley, basil, mint, chervil or thyme leaves
½ English cucumber
½ cup edible blossoms such as thyme, basil or chive blossoms, nasturtiums, marigolds or pansies
½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds / pepitas
French Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- For the French Vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 small shallot, finely diced
1 small garlic clove, minced
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Wash the micro greens and gently pat dry. For herbs with large leaves, such as basil and mint, cut or tear into ribbons. Peel the cucumber and, using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, shave lengthwise into thin ribbons.
- In a large salad bowl, combine all ingredients except vinaigrette. Cover with a clean towel and refrigerate until ready to dress.
- Just before serving, drizzle with the dressing and toss gently to mix. Serve immediately.
- To make the French Vinaigrette:
- In a small jar or other covered container, combine the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, shallot and garlic. Cover and shake until well blended. Using a fork, mix in the olive oil until well blended and emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Adapted from the Williams-Sonoma Newlywed Cookbook