Featured in our Holiday 2020 Food + Entertaining article, ‘Tis the Season!, these delicious Roasted Beets and Charred Green Beans are a perfect side for your holiday table and always a crowd-pleaser.
Roasted Beets and Charred Green Beans (Haricots Verts)Course: Sides
3 pounds small to medium-sized red beets
8 thyme springs
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
1 pound haricots verts, trimmed, divided
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
2 large shallots, thinly sliced on a mandoline
Roasted hazelnuts, for garnish
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Prepare the beets:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss together beets, thyme sprigs, 3 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a roasting pan or baking dish; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven until beets are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove foil and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel cooled beets and cut into wedges. Discard thyme sprigs.
- Prepare the haricots verts:
- Heat 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil in a large cast-iron skillet over high until smoking. Add half of the haricots verts in an even layer. Cook, without stirring, until charred on one side, about 2 minutes. Cook, stirring often, until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat process with 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil and remaining haricots verts. Sprinkle beans with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Prepare the salad:
- Toss together beets, haricots verts, vinegar, sugar, mustard, oregano, chopped thyme, and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with remaining 1 ½ teaspoons salt and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Before serving:
- Stir together shallots and remaining ½ cup grapeseed oil in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fried shallots to paper towels to drain. Top salad with fried shallots; garnish with hazelnuts and parsley.
- Recipe by Kristen Kish, Food & Wine
- To Make Ahead: The beets and haricots verts mixture can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Prepare the shallots shortly before serving.