This recipe is featured in our November 2017 Food + Entertaining article, Swanky Tailgating.
Spicy Tomato and Blue Cheese SoupCourse: Soups
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 sprig oregano
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 (28-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes, with their juice
1 ½ cups chicken stock
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
½ cup Roth Käse Buttermilk Blue Cheese
Greek yogurt for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and a 3-fingered pinch of salt; sweat for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sweat for 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes, their juice and the stock and bring to a simmer. Tie up a sprig of oregano and place it into the soup with the string hanging over the side of the pot. Add the cream, sriracha sauce and oregano leaves and simmer for 10 to 25 minutes.
- Remove oregano sprig. Pour the soup into a blender, add the blue cheese, and blend until smooth, working in batches if needed. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean pot, taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Reheat to serve.
- When serving, top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and some extra hot sauce.
- Recipe from Michael Symon’s Live To Cook
- Make Ahead: The soup will keep, covered in the refrigerator, for a few days.