Featured in our Spring 2022 Food + Entertaining article, It’s Spring, this spring bread salad with asparagus, radishes, peas and mint is a delicious and refreshing side to any spring meal. The shallot vinaigrette is fabulous drizzled on the salad!
Spring Bread Salad with Asparagus, Radishes, Peas, and MintCourse: Salads
1 pound asparagus
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup shelled fresh peas, blanched
2 bunches of mixed radishes, halved
3 cups torn bread
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 cups pea tendrils or pea shoots
3 tablespoons Macerated Shallot
Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
Fresh chives, for garnish
- For the Macerated Shallot Vinaigrette (makes about ½ cup):
1 shallot, finely diced
2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar or enough to just cover the shallots
1/4 cup olive oil
A couple twists of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the asparagus into 2-inch pieces, discarding the tough ends. Arrange pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Give the pan a shake to coat the asparagus. Roast until the pieces are tender but still a bit crunchy, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the asparagus, peas, and radishes in a medium bowl.
- Heat a medium skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat, then pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the bread and cook, turning partway through, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add to the vegetable mixture.
- Add the mint, pea tendrils, and vinaigrette and toss to dress. Season with more salt and pepper if desired and garnish with a flurry of chives, snipped with kitchen shears.
- To make the Macerated Shallot Vinaigrette:
- Combine the shallots and rice vinegar and allow to macerate for at least 20 minutes or up to overnight. Whisk in the olive oil and pepper. You could store this in your fridge for up to a week, but you’ll get the freshest, brightest flavor if you use within 24 hours.
- Recipe from Erin French, Hammertown