This recipe is featured in our July 2017 Food + Entertaining article, Blackberry Season.
Sun-Sational CheesecakeCourse: Dessert
- For the crust:
1+ cup graham crackers (crushed)
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For the cake:
3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
½ teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs (1 separated, yolk reserved)
- For the glaze:
1 egg yolk (reserved)
¾ cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup water
¼ cup lemon juice
- To prepare the crust:
- Combine crumbs, sugar and butter for crust and press into bottom of springform pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and increase temperature to 450 degrees.
- To prepare the cake:
- Combine cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, rind and vanilla. Mix at medium speed until well blended. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in remaining egg white. Save egg yolk for glaze. Pour mixture over crust.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, watching the top for browning. Reduce oven to 250 degrees and continue to bake for 30 more minutes.
- Let cake cool. Go around edge with a sharp knife, loosening cake from rim.
- To prepare the glaze:
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in saucepan, stirring in water and lemon juice. Cook until clear and thickened. Add a small amount to egg yolk, temper, and mix well. Add to hot mixture, cooking for 3 minutes.
- Cool slightly and spoon over cake.
- Recipe from The Complete Cheese Cookbook
- Use a 7, 8 or 9-inch springform pan, depending on how thick you prefer your cake.
- Place a Pyrex dish filled with water in the oven while the cake is baking, which helps prevent it from cracking.