WRITTEN BY Lesley Holland Downey
I love getting beauty advice…from magazines, bloggers, estheticians and makeup artists. But I have also discovered some of my best finds because I was nosy enough to ask a trusted friend (or a stranger) which lipstick she is wearing or why she smells so good. With all of the products out there, it helps to seek recommendations from “real-life experts” who know what works for them on a daily basis. So I was thrilled to poll some of our readers to see what their “must haves” are. They range from high-end items to those available at your local drugstore, Target or even at a grocery store. A few of these definitely make a product junkie like me want to go shopping!
Read the full post to discover fabulous beauty products!
1. Cetaphil Gentle Face Wash and L’Oreal Revitalift Night Crème. I never go to bed without washing and moisturizing my face.
2. L’Oreal Revitalift Day Crème with SPF 18. I always use a sunscreen. Years ago, I worked with Andie MacDowell, spokeswoman for L’Oreal products, and was mesmerized by her beautiful skin. She didn’t only endorse thesebproducts, she used them daily.
3. I love Chantecaille and Chanel lip products. I always wear lip color: Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss in Love or Charm during the day and Chanel’s Luminous Satin Lipstick in 09 at night.
4. My fragrance is Creed’s Virgin Island Water. I wear it always!
5. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 30.
1. Prada Nylon Triangle Cosmetic Bag in red. A perfect size and color. I like to throw this in my purse or weekend bag and the color makes it easy to find.
2. Hanae Mori Butterfly fragrance. A classic scent of berries and flowers with a hint of vanilla.
3. NARS The Multiple Stick in Orgasm. A great stick to take as a refresher for a night on the town. You can use it on your cheeks and lips.
4. La Prairie Light Fantastic Brightening Eye Treatment. I love this concealer for under the eyes.
5. Benefit They’re Real! Mascara gives length and lifts those lashes.
6. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Face Peel, Original Strength. I found these handy wipes on a recent spa trip. Firms skin by stimulating collagen production.
7. Essie Polish in Ballet Slippers makes your nails look clean and fresh, no matter the season.
8. Oribe Dry Texturing Hair Spray. Not only does this spray smell fabulous, it also acts as a dry shampoo.
1. Dermalogica Essential Cleansing Solution or Daily Microfoliant. I rotate between these two each day.
2. Clarisonic Opal with Clarins Eye Contour Gel. I use this for hydration and for under-eye puffiness.
3. Darphin Hydraskin Rich Night Cream. It feels so wonderful at end of day.
4. Maybelline Great Lash Mascara. I have used this since I was 13.
5. I love Jane Iredale Liquid Minerals Foundation!
1. Sunscreen. Brown spots are much more aging than any wrinkle and skin tone is very important.
2. Cerave Moisturizer. Every dermatologist loves this. It’s perfect for layering with illuminating creams and foundations for a dewy look, or used as a night cream.
3. Rimmel Stay Matte Powder. I found out about this product on a famous makeup blogger/artists’ website. It works much better than more expensive products.
4. Rimmel Scandal Eyes Liner in Nude. It is a magic wand for your whole face.
5. Bare Minerals Blemish Therapy. A one-of-a-kind product that I use to both cover and heal blemishes.
6. Sonia Kashuk Creme Blush in Blossom is my favorite blush for a blonde over 40. Just a hint of warmth with no sparkles.
7. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic Acid is my “worker bee” and my one splurge item that I am never without.
1. Lancome Definicils Mascara. I’ve tried all of the drugstore brands that are suppose to be the same or better, but, for me, this is the only one that gives me the color and the definition that I need. This doesn’t give you much volume but it rarely clumps!
2. The Body Shop Shea Butter Body Butter. A dear friend gave me a tub of this several years ago and now I can’t go to sleep without slathering it all over my hands and, sometimes, my feet as well!
3. LaRoche-Posay Anthelios Tinted Mineral Sunscreen. I heard once that the best anti-aging beauty item you can buy is a good sunscreen and this is one of the best out there. It holds its SPF longer than most and the tinted version helps prevent that white glow you get from most broad-spectrum sunscreens.
4. Neocutis Lumiere Eye Cream. I put this on lightly before concealer and then use a heavier application before bedtime. This is one luxury item that I can’t go without!
1. Nancy Boy Replenishing Facial Moisturizer. I found this facial cream in San Francisco last summer and I love it because it’s light.
2. Epicuren After Bath Moisturizer. This lotion is used as a salve on burn victims. It’s pricey but a little goes a long way.
3. Purminerals Facial Cleanser. To slough off dead skin, I use this in the shower, with a Clarisonic scrubber, a few times a week.
4. Bareminerals and Bobbi Brown eye shadows. Both are creamy and they stay put all day.
5. Chantecaille Bio-Lift Concealer. It’s a cream stick that has great coverage without drying out the under-eye area.
6. McEvoy Ranch 80 Acres Hand and Body Lotion in Blood Orange. It was also one of Oprah’s favorites. I use it at night on my hands and feet. It’s lovely.
Lesley Holland Downey
1. I am obsessed with my Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint with SPF 20. It evens out my skin without looking heavy.
2. I love my It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Conditioner. You can get it at the drugstore. It works great to calm down my thick, wavy hair without making it look greasy like some leave-in products.
3. My favorite pick-me-up for my eyes is Laura Mercier’s Shimmer Stick in Rosegold. My eyes are deep set and this helps lighten them up. It’s also easy to apply.
Leave a Reply