Featured in our Summer 2021 Food + Entertaining article, Upscale Picnic, these delicious blueberry muffins are super moist and have an easy crumble topping. They’re soft, tender, and packed with fresh berries.
These delicious blueberry muffins are super moist and have an easy crumble topping. They’re soft, tender, and packed with fresh berries.
- For the streusel topping:
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
1 pinch salt
- For the muffins:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 eggs, room temperature
¼ cup lemon juice
8 ounces fresh blueberries
- To make the streusel topping:
- Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl, then add the cubed butter.
- Use clean fingers to crumble the butter and flour together until you have a shaggy mixture. Press large handfuls together at the end then gently break apart to create a range of various sized clumps.
- To make the muffins:
- Preheat to 400 degrees. Prepare your muffin tin by either greasing the wells or adding paper liners.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl, then whisk together and set aside.
- Toss the blueberries in about a tablespoon of the dry mixture and set aside. This will help prevent them from sinking in the batter.
- In medium bowl, add melted butter, oil, milk, sugar, vanilla, eggs, lemon juice, sour cream, and lemon zest, then whisk together until combined. Pour the wet mixture into the dry, mixing until almost combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer batter to your prepared muffin tin, filling the wells to the top. Cover with the streusel topping. Bake for about 20 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the tin for at least 10 minutes before removing.
- Recipe from John Kanell, Preppy Kitchen
- Adding a ramekin filled halfway with water will keep the muffins nice and moist during baking.