This recipe is from our Spring 2016 Food + Entertaining article, Zest for Spring.
Citrus Rice Salad
The perfect side to Bourbon Glazed Salmon.
- For the Rice Salad:
½ cup sliced almonds
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed
¾ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 medium orange, zested
1 lemon, zested
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- For the Vinaigrette:
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes until lightly golden. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock, salt and oil to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice. Cover the saucepan, reduce the heat, and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Using a fork, fluff the rice and place in a large serving bowl. Add the parsley, orange zest, half of the lemon zest, green onions, and ¼ cup of the almonds. Toss well.
- To prepare the vinaigrette:
- In a blender, combine the olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, honey, and cumin. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour the vinaigrette over the rice mixture and stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with the remaining lemon zest and almonds.
Add chopped bell pepper, asparagus, zucchini or other vegetables to the rice according to taste.
Serve grilled chicken with the rice.
Use a citrus, soy, and honey marinade.
- Recipe by Giada De Laurentiis