This recipe is featured in our July 2019 Food +Entertaining Article, A Modern Fête.
Cucumber-Cantaloupe SaladCourse: Salads
- For the quick-pickled onions:
1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
½ cup red wine vinegar
1 small red beet, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the salad:
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cucumber, very thinly sliced
1 ripe cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cut lengthwise into thin wedges
½ cup crumbled feta
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
¼ teaspoon flaky sea salt (like Maldon)
- Prepare the pickled onions:
- Add sliced onions to a nonreactive metal bowl. Combine ¾ cup water, vinegar, beet, sugar and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat; stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Pour brine over onions and allow to stand at room temperature until cooled. Recipe makes 1 cup pickled onions. Refrigerate any leftovers for up to two weeks.
- Prepare the salad:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, smoked paprika and ½ teaspoon of fine sea salt. Add the cucumber slices (you can use English cucumbers if you like) and toss to coat.
- To serve, arrange cantaloupe slices on a platter or eight individual plates. Place cucumbers in clusters around the cantaloupe and nestle in slivers of pickled onions. Top with feta and mint leaves, and garnish with flaky sea salt.
- Recipe from Whole Foods Market