This recipe is featured in our May/June 2015 Food + Entertaining article, Happy Mother’s Day from Peachy! Plus Fantastic Entertaining Ideas from the May/June Issue.
Pan-Seared Steelhead Trout with Quinoa and Tomato Caper VinaigretteCourse: Main
6 6-ounce pieces of trout (can substitute salmon)
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups quinoa (white, red or combo)
4 cups water
Pinch of salt
¼ cup celery, finely diced
¼ cup onion, finely diced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
Zest of 2 lemons
Salt and pepper
- TOMATO CAPER VINAIGRETTE
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 shallot, finely diced
¼ cup capers, drained
1 cup olives, halved
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- To prepare fish:
- Pat fish dry. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Gently lay the filets, flesh side down, and cook 3 to 4 minutes until golden. Turn the fish and continue to cook 3 to 4 more minutes. Remove the fish to a baking sheet. Place the seared fish in a 350° oven for an additional 8 to 10 minutes until medium.
- To prepare quinoa:
- Rinse the quinoa well and allow to drain. In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil, season with salt and add quinoa. Return to a simmer, turn the heat down to medium/medium low, cover and cook 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. You can use a rice cooker.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a sauté pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, celery and onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the vegetables are tender but still crunchy. Stir the vegetables into the cooked quinoa along with the lemon zest and thyme. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice and white wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, and then add vegetable oil until desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning. Fold in the remaining ingredients and hold at room temperature.
- To assemble:
- Place the quinoa in middle of each plate, then top with fish and tomato caper vinaigrette. Serve remaining vinaigrette on side.
- After you sear the fish, you can place it on a baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to finish and serve. Remove from fridge and cook in a 350 degree oven for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.