This recipe is featured in our April 2017 Food + Entertaining article, Season’s Bounty. Seasonality is just as important with cocktails as it is with food. In this Bottega creation, we have the flavor of spring in a martini glass, to be made only when aromatic strawberries are at their sweet prime.
Strawberry Fields CocktailCourse: Drinks
2 1⁄2 ounces strawberry-infused vodka (see recipe below)
1 1⁄2 ounces lemonade
A strawberry half
- STRAWBERRY-INFUSED VODKA:
a bottle (750 ml) of vodka
4 pounds stemmed ripe strawberries
- SIMPLE SYRUP:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
- Pour the vodka and lemonade into a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with the strawberry.
- To make strawberry-infused vodka:
- Combine a bottle (750 ml) of vodka with 4 pounds stemmed ripe strawberries and let sit in a cool, dark place for two weeks. Strain and sweeten with Simple Syrup (recipe below) if desired. You can use the same technique to infuse vodka with other fruits.
- To make simple syrup:
- Combine the sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring and swirling to dissolve the sugar. Dip a pastry brush in hot water and wipe down the sides of the pan to dissolve any sugar crystals that cling to the sides. Simmer for two minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool. Simple syrup keeps for weeks in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator.
- Recipe from Frank Stitt’s Bottega Favorita