This recipe is featured in our July 2018 Food +Entertaining Article, Farmer’s Market Feast.
Summer Squash Salad with Arugula and FetaCourse: Salads
- For the dressing:
1⁄2 lemon, seeded, sliced into 1⁄8-inch-thick rounds, and finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄2 shallot or 2 green onions, finely chopped
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- For the salad:
1 medium yellow summer squash
1 medium zucchini
2 cups lightly packed baby arugula
1⁄2 cup lightly packed fresh mint, leaves roughly torn
1⁄2 cup lightly packed fresh basil, leaves roughly torn
4 ounces Bulgarian feta cheese, thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup toasted hazelnuts, skins removed (see method below)
Flaky sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, for serving
- Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chopped lemon, lemon juice, honey, garlic, shallot and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the salad:
- Using a mandolin, spiralizer or sharp knife, julienne the squash and zucchini and place them in a large bowl with the arugula, mint and basil. Drizzle with the dressing and toss until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- To serve, transfer the salad to a deep serving bowl and scatter it with the feta and hazelnuts. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Serve at room temperature.
- Recipe from Athena Calderone, Cook Beautiful
- Toasted Hazelnuts: Toast the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet for 4 to 6 minutes, or until they’re golden and fragrant. Place the toasted nuts on a kitchen toweling and rub them against one another to remove the skins (don’t worry if all of the skins don’t come off). Roughly chop the nuts.