Featured in our Holiday 2021 Food + Entertaining article, Festa Italiana, this divine Tiramisu recipe is simplified and scaled for home cooks, and is the perfect ending to an Italian feast.
Italian restaurants Little Mama’s and Mama Ricotta’s are known for their exceptional menus, both of which include a divine tiramisu. We’re thrilled that they have shared their recipe with us, simplified and scaled for home cooks. We think you’ll agree it is the perfect ending to an Italian feast.
- For the Mascarpone Mousse:
4 egg yolks
½ cup granulated sugar
8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened at room temperature for 15–20 minutes
1½ cups whipping cream
4 egg whites
- For the Tiramisu:
1 package ladyfinger cookies, approximately 24
1¾ cups strong cold coffee or espresso
2 tablespoons Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- To Make the Mascarpone Mousse:
- Add egg yolks and sugar to a bowl and whip over a double boiler (a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water) until light and fluffy and reaches 165°.
- The mixture will increase in volume. Remove from heat and continue whipping to help it cool. The mixture will be thick. Allow to cool briefly and then whisk in mascarpone until just combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl using an electric mixer, whip whipping cream to stiff peaks and set aside.
- In a separate bowl using an electric mixer with clean whisks, whip egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside. (You should be able to hold the whisk upside down without the peaks falling.)
- Gently fold egg whites and whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture until just combined. Use a “scoop and stir” motion to not deflate the mixture too much.
- To Make the Tiramisu:
- Mix the cold coffee with the Kahlua and dip the ladyfingers into the mixture quickly (just enough to get them wet). Arrange one layer of ladyfingers in the bottom of a 9×9-inch baking dish, 3-quart serving bowl, or equivalent.
- Spoon the mascarpone mousse over the ladyfingers and spread evenly. Repeat the process until all of the mousse and ladyfingers have been used, ending with a layer of mousse.
- Refrigerate overnight or a minimum of 4 hours before serving to allow for the cream to set.
- Dust with cocoa before serving.